Skip to main content

History of the MIM

Creation of the Brussels Musical Instruments Museum

The Brussels Musical Instruments Museum was originally founded on 1 February 1877 as part of the Brussels Royal Music Conservatory, with the didactic aim of giving students direct access to early instruments.

At the very beginning, two collections of instruments were brought together. One belonged to the celebrated Belgian musicologist François-Joseph Fétis (1784–1871). It was purchased by the Belgian government in 1872 and placed on deposit at the Conservatory, where Fétis was the first director. The other was a gift to King Leopold II in 1876 from Rajah Sourindro Mohun Tagore (1840–1914)...

Read more
Fétis & Tagore
Fétis & Tagore

Victor-Charles Mahillon (1841-1924)

With these two original collections, the MIM was already remarkably rich for its time. Its first curator, Victor-Charles Mahillon (1841–1924), would go on to expand it considerably, placing the museum among the finest in the world.

In 1877, Mahillon established a restoration workshop at the MIM, employing and training a craftsman, Franz de Vestibule, to restore damaged pieces and to create replicas of instruments from other public collections when no original examples existed in Brussels.

Between 1880 and 1922, Mahillon documented the museum’s holdings in a monumental five-volume...

Read more
Victor-Charles Mahillon

After Mahillon's death

The growth of the collection slowed sharply after Mahillon’s death in 1924. His successor, Ernest Closson (1870–1950), nonetheless shared the same scientific curiosity about musical instruments. He contributed several articles on Belgian makers to the Biographie nationale and devoted a substantial monograph to La facture des instruments de musique en Belgique, published on the occasion of the 1935 Universal Exhibition in Brussels. In addition to organological insights, this work provided statistics on the volume of Belgian instrument exports in the mid-19th century and lamented the reversal of fortunes in the 1920s and 1930s, when most instrument makers in the region disappeared.

With the arrival of Roger Bragard (1903–1985), curator from 1957 to 1968, the situation improved considerably. An eminent Latinist whose enduring interest in ancient music treatises led him to musicology, Bragard succeeded in attracting the attention of the then Minister of Culture, in particular Miss Sara Huysmans. Budgets increased significantly, exhibition rooms were renovated, guides and scientific staff were hired, and concerts of early music on original instruments or their copies were organised. Once again, rare pieces could be added to the collection.

Bragard’s efforts were continued by René de Maeyer (1968–1989), who assembled a team of around ten scientific collaborators, each specialising in a different branch of organology. Nicolas Meeùs served as acting curator from 1989 to 1994, initiating the project to relocate the MIM to the Old England building. The move was carried out under the leadership of Malou Haine (1994–2009), during whose tenure the new museum took shape and various projects were developed.

Since 11 January 1992, the Musical Instruments Museum – today known as MIM – has been part of the Royal Museums of Art and History as Department IV. By royal decree, the Belgian State recognised the scientific nature of its activities and divided it into two sections: the early music section, and the section of modern music (19th and 20th centuries) together with popular and traditional music. 

Since 2009, the MIM has been managed by the Royal Museums of Art and History (RMAH). The current General Director of the RMAH is Géraldine David.