Skip to main content

Building

The MIM and the Royal Conservatory of Music

Shortly after the museum’s founding in 1877, the collection was stored in an annex of the Royal Conservatory of Music on rue aux Laines (Wolstraat). The Conservatory itself moved into a new building on rue de la Régence (Regentschapsstraat), designed by architect Jean-Pierre Cluysenaar.

The museum also acquired a large townhouse on the corner of Place du Petit Sablon (Kleine Zavel), which became the residence of director François-Auguste Gevaert (1828–1908). However, the collection grew so rapidly that new premises soon became necessary.

Furthermore, the storage conditions for the...

Read more
The Royal Conservatory of Music at Place du Petit Sablon/Kleine Zavel
The Royal Conservatory of Music at Place du Petit Sablon/Kleine Zavel

Old England building

Not until the late 1970s - by which time the collection was spread over no fewer than fifteen buildings in the Sablon and Nord/Noord districts - did the federal government realise that a comprehensive solution was needed for the MIM. In 1978, the former Old England buildings were finally purchased to house not only the exhibition rooms but also the reserves and administrative offices.

These two buildings are very different in style. The neoclassical building on the Place Royale (Koningsplein) is part of the overall design for the entire square, laid out in 1774 under the direction of...

Read more
The MIM in 2000
The MIM in 2000